OIL PULLING - A BLESSING IN DISGUISE
Oil pulling is an ancient Ayurvedic remedy for oral health and detoxification. It involves the use of pure oils as agents to cleanse out harmful bacteria, as well as reduce fungal overgrowth. Oil pulling may also increase saponification in the mouth, creating a soapy environment that cleanses the mouth as vegetable fat is an emulsifier by nature. Most interesting is perhaps the ability of oil to help in cellular restructuring, and are related to the proper functioning of the lymph nodes and other internal organs. Apart from the various available scientific advancements in the medical field, there are age old traditional practices in Ayurvedic medicine which have to be encouraged. Oil pulling, which only requires one to swish oil in the mouth is known to cure many oral and systemic ailments. Though oil pulling is effective, none of the studies considered it as a replacement for the tooth brushing, but can definitely be a supplemental oral hygiene aid. This paper aims at throwing light on the various health benefits of this bygone practice.
2. C. Hannig,C. Wagenschwanz,S. Pötschke,K. Kümmerer,A. Kensche,W. Hoth-Hannig,M. Hannig. Effect of Safflower Oil on the Protective Properties of the in situ Formed Salivary Pellicle. Caries Research. 2012; 46(5): 496
3. Available from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_pulling.com
4. Available from: http://www.maharishi-european-sidhaland.org.uk.
5. Available from: http://www.oilpulling.com
6. Available from: http://www.indiaids.org/alt_ther/ayurveda.asp#a4.com
7. Lakshmi, T; Rajendran, R; Krishnan, Vidya (2013). "Perspectives of oil pulling therapy in dental practice". Dental Hypotheses. 4 (4): 131–4.
8. Hebbar A, Keluskar V, Shetti A. Oil pulling – Unraveling the path to mystic cure. J Int Oral health 2010;2:10-3.
9. Asokan S, Rathinasamy TK, Inbamani N, Menon T, Kumar SS, Emmadi P, et al. Mechanism of oil-pulling therapy – In vitro study. Indian J Dent Res 2011;22:34-7.
10. Asokan S, Rathan J, Muthu MS, Rathna PV, Emmadi P; Raghuraman; Chamundeswari. Effect of oil pulling on Streptococcus mutans count in plaque and saliva using Dentocult SM Strip mutans test: A randomized, controlled, triple-blind study. J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent 2008;26:12-7.
11. Saini, Rajiv; Saini, Santosh; Sharma, Sugandha (2011). "Ayurveda and herbs in dental health". AYU. 32 (2): 285–6
12. Thaweboon S, Nakaparksin J, Thaweboon B. Effect of oilpulling on oral microorganisms in biofilm models. Asia J Public Health 2011;2:62-6.
13. Faizal C. Peedikayil, Prathima Sreenivasan,1 and Arun Narayanan. Effect of coconut oil in plaque related gingivitis — A preliminary report. Niger Med J. 2015 Mar-Apr; 56(2): 143–147.
14. Amith HV, Ankola AV, Nagesh L. Effects of oil pulling on plaque and gingivitis. J Oral Health Community Dent 2007;1:12-8.
15. Asokan S, Emmadi P, Chamundeswari R. Effect of oil pulling on plaque induced gingivitis: A randomized, controlled, triple-blind study. Indian J Dent Res 2009;20:47-51
16. Stoeken, Judith E.; Paraskevas, Spiros; Van Der Weijden, Godefridus A. (2007). "The Long-Term Effect of a Mouthrinse Containing Essential Oils on Dental Plaque and Gingivitis: A Systematic Review". Journal of Periodontology. 78 (7): 1218–28.
17. Soukoulis, S.; Hirsch, R. (2004). "The effects of a tea tree oil-containing gel on plaque and chronic gingivitis". Australian Dental Journal. 49 (2): 78–83.
18. Asokan S, Kumar RS, Emmadi P, Raghuraman R, Sivakumar N. Effect of oil pulling on halitosis and microorganisms causing halitosis: A randomized controlled pilot trial. J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent 2011;29:90-4
19. "AIT researchers show coconut oil could combat tooth decay" (Press release). Athlone Institute of Technology. 3 September 2012. Retrieved April 30, 2015.
20. Tomar P, Hongal S, Jain M, Rana K, Saxena V. Oil Pulling and Oral Health: A Review. IJSS Case Report & Reviews 2014;1(3):33-37.
21. Kensche, A.; Reich, M.; Kümmerer, K.; Hannig, M.; Hannig, C. (2012). "Lipids in preventive dentistry". Clinical Oral Investigations. 17 (3): 669–85.
22. Kim, Jae Yeol; Jung, Jae Woo; Choi, Jae Chol; Shin, Jong Wook; Park, In Won; Choi, Byoung Whui (2014). "Recurrent lipoid pneumonia associated with oil pulling". The International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease. 18 (2): 251–2.
23. http://nationaleczema.org/contact-dermatitis-coconut-fatty-acids/ Contact Dermatitis and Coconut Fatty Acids
24. Rowena Anne Mathew, M. Sankari. Oil Pulling and its Role in Oral and Systemic Diseases- A Review Article. International Journal of PharmTech Research. Vol.6, No.2, pp 701-703, April-June 2014.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.